Review #42 - Bushmills Black Bush

And we're back to the present day. It's Christmas time, I'm on vacation, and I'm about to make sourdough bread. I think I'll start the day with a dram (and after taking notes for this review, that Millionaire Shortbread I made.)




Nose: Apple, pear, honey, light toasted grains, poached plums, nutmeg, almonds.

Palate: Nutmeg, red wine, toffee, caramel, toasted oats.

Finish: Short. Orchard fruits, vanilla, light caramel, and something just slightly bitter.

Verdict: I'll always have a love for Black Bush. It reminds me of my dad. He drank Bushmills when he could afford it when I was growing up. We drank it at his wake and his funeral. It's a pleasant whiskey, a fair step up from the base blended 80% grain/20% malt white label Bushmills, as Black Bush is 80% malt/20% grain. That said, it's a simple Irish whiskey, even with the sherry aging the malt in this goes through. It's bottled at too low proof, and the triple distilling makes it incredibly light. That said, it's sure easy to drink. If you want something easy drinking and light, this is for you.

Would I buy this: I would! It's a good value at the $22 or so USD a 750ml bottle runs.

Would I order this in a bar: Eh, maybe? Do they have anything else?

Would I drink this if someone gave me a glass: For certain, and then I'd tell them a story about my da!

Rating: ★★

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spirit Reviews

Review #12 - Ballindaloch Straight from the Cask (is a Lie)

Review #64 - Son of a Peat