Review #56 - Oban 14




Nose: Far off wood smoke. Faint seaweed. Dried cereal grains. Grainy sweetness predominates.

Palate: Very malt forward. Lots of grains, a little citrus. Touches of smoke. A bit of salt and tar.

Finish: Middling length. Malty and fruity, with some light spiciness. A graininess runs along as a backbone to the whole thing.

Verdict: I like Oban 14. The malt shows through well, it's got some complexity, but not as much as I'd like. It's easy to drink, I just feel that the amount they charge for it is too much. A scotch at this price should have more going on.

Would I buy this: No, not unless it was on sale.

Would I order this in a bar: Maybe? If they have Talisker 10 available, that's a negative. And they likely do.

Would I drink this if someone gave me a glass: I would! There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's a nice dram.

Rating: ★★★

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spirit Reviews

Review #12 - Ballindaloch Straight from the Cask (is a Lie)

Review #64 - Son of a Peat