Review #63 - Benriach 18 Year Tawny Port Astor Cask Selection



This dram was a mystery included in my 2018 Secret Santa swap. It was tasted and reviewed blind.

Nose: Stewed plums, cocoa, toasted nuts, clove, Virginia pipe tobacco, honey, vanilla, raspberries.

Palate: Sweet red berries, vanilla, oak, rich cocoa, figs, dark cherries, caramel, black pepper, honey.

Finish: Finish is long. Dry and tannic, but with a little caramel and clove at the tail.

Verdict: Definitely some heat. Like 100-110 proof, maybe? It's very rich. I think it's port finished, based on what I'm tasting.

Would I buy this: Depending on price, I would. Given it's from Astor, maybe not. But it's awfully good.

Would I order this in a bar: I would, definitely. Delicious dram.

Would I drink this if someone gave me a glass: Oh, yes please!

Rating: ★★★★

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spirit Reviews

Review #12 - Ballindaloch Straight from the Cask (is a Lie)

Review #64 - Son of a Peat