Review #76 - Still Austin Bourbon (Batch #2)


This sample was a gift from a friend. Hi Travis! I went into it knowing only that it was Bourbon from Still Austin.

Nose: Corn, vanilla, lemon, caramel, oak, light nutmeg, old varnish, gun oil, shoe polish.

Palate: Sweet corn, popcorn, caramel, burnt peanut, pepper, bitter clove, flamed orange peel, vanilla.

Finish: Corn, vanilla, a little pepper. Sweet mostly. Long but simple.

Verdict: Tastes young, I'd bet 12-18 months? Maybe 95-100 proof? Has a lot of harsh notes right in the middle of the palate. The nose has some weird unpleasantness, but the base Bourbon notes underly all of it. Might be fine with more time, but as is, I don't care for it.

Would I buy this: I'm betting this is craft priced, so 35-50 a bottle. In which case, nuh-uh.

Would I order this in a bar: Probably not.

Would I drink this if someone gave me a glass: I would, but mostly so I could discuss what I do and don't like abut it with them.

Final notes: Looking this up I see it is 100 proof and a year old at $45 USD a bottle.

Rating: ★★

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spirit Reviews

Review #12 - Ballindaloch Straight from the Cask (is a Lie)

Review #64 - Son of a Peat